A virtual assistant is the answer when needing more time and delegating work that you don’t enjoy, so that you can do the income generating activities you love. However, the wrong virtual assistant can cost you more than you can imagine. Therefore it is very important to choose the right virtual assistant. A bad experience with a virtual assistant is also no reason to stay away from all the benefits of having an effective virtual assistant. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, but there are certain warning signs to look out for.
- It is always good practice to make copies of important documents, specifically documents of a sensitive nature or irreplaceable documents. Keeping a copy of such documents is something you should do, with or without a virtual assistant.
- Check-up on the virtual assistant’s work. If writing and publishing blog posts are one of the virtual assistant’s duty, don’t take the quality for granted. Make an effort to actually read the blog posts. In the beginning, read the posts before it’s published. You will then know what the content is, and the spelling and grammar quality before published. If you are satisfied with the quality, irregular spot-checks in the future will keep the quality up to standard.
- Stay away from lending money to virtual assistants who are new to the job. If you lend money to an employee or virtual assistant, be certain they will pay back. Emergencies do happen, and advancing money is sometimes necessary.
- If the virtual assistant allows others to use the computer or other equipment that you supplied for them to use, be aware. Most virtual assistants have their own computers that they use for work. If they share their computers, they should have safety measure put in place so that your work is protected from prying eyes.
- Be specific in what tasks you expect the virtual assistant to do for a specific amount of money. Don’t assume the virtual assistant knows what you need if you don’t specify and give instructions.
- Don’t be in a hurry and hire the first person that comes along claiming to be a virtual assistant. She can be the best virtual assistant in the world, but if the two of you can’t form a good working relationship, it won’t work.
- Be alert during the interview. Many telltale signs are shown in the beginning. Stay objective and hire the perfect virtual assistant for you.
- Be wise and don’t agree to a long-term contract initially. Give tasks and projects that have a beginning and end time period. After a while, when you’ve seen the quality of the work, then think of longer termed contracts.
- Keep in mind, that if you communicate your instructions poorly, you are making it difficult for the virtual assistant to do her job.
Virtual assistants are essential to the internet and business world of today. Be patient, you will find the right virtual assistant. It is more common for clients to be satisfied with what their virtual assistants are accomplishing, than being dissatisfied.
About Out of the Office Virtual Assistance:
At Out of the Office, we are committed to providing earth-friendly administration and offer ideas and ways to increase your productivity, decrease your workload, and work more efficiently. We nurture a successful business relationship, while continuing to grow as your business partner. We are focused on streamlining your administration, social media planning and execution, and offering creative solutions for your business success.
Image credit: geralt | CCO Public Domain